October 14, 2009

Getting Colder

I just about froze to death today on my island, so I thought I'd make a post about what I wear when it gets cold. This is my patchwork cloak, by far the warmest thing in my wardrobe. It's also one of the more outrageous items, and I like that.

I honestly don't know why cloaks ever went out of style - they're cute and pretty much just like wearing a big fluffy blanket all day. This particular one is nice because not only is the outside fabric really warm, but it's got a layer of fleece sewn into the middle. It has hidden pockets, too, right at hand level, and they're perfect for sticking hand warmers in for really cold days.

The funny thing is, I've had multiple Japanese people tell me that this thing looks a lot like a kimono. I have no clue where they're getting it, but they seem to approve if only for that single fact.

5 comments:

  1. this is fantastic, is it from a Ren faire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it made for that originally, yes. My seamstress failed, though, and didn't finish it until it was already well over 100 degrees out. I never got to wear it there.

    It all works out, though, since I now get to wear it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yeah that thing is awesome! Cloaks FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. although i think cloaks can be cute, i really don't like this one as a fashion accessory... i think it looks really really geeky! @_@ sorry!! (i still love you though.... ;p)

    it would defintely be better (fashion-wise) if it was only one color and didn't have little tassels at the back.

    just my opinion though... to each his own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually got four different cloaks, though this is the only one I brought to Japan. It's definitely the most outrageous of all of mine, and the patchwork and tassels are the reason I love it. It's got a lot of personality - even if, yes, it's totally geeky.

    ...I should try and find photos of my other three.

    ReplyDelete